Every year hundreds of folks are injured due to fallen trees and debris from storms Know your surroundings for the safety to you and your family. There are many types of storms from flash floods and thunder storms to blizzards and hale storms. All capable of causing physical damage to you and your home. With summer coming to a close and Fall and Winter around the corner, here are some tips to follow to keep us all safe.
- Discuss storm safety and lightning safety with all members of your household
- Pick a safe place in your home for household members to gather during a storm This should be away from windows, skylights and glass doors that could be broken by strong winds or hail.
- Make a list of items to bring inside in the event of a severe thunderstorm such as lawn chairs, garden tools, toys and lawn ornaments.
- Make trees and shrubbery more wind resistant by keeping them trimmed and removing damaged branches, tie larger ones up with burlap if needed.
- Protect your animals by ensuring that any outside buildings that house them are protected in the same way as your home
- Get trained in first aid and CPR and learn how to respond to emergencies
- Put together an first aid kit and emergency equipment and let everyone know where it's located in your home
- Set a meeting place outside if you are forced to leave your home in case of emergency